Tag Archives: LPR

Appealing USCIS denial of extension of visitor visa status

The USCIS may grant the I-539 application, request further evidence (RFE) or deny the application. Sometimes the application may be denied after the USCIS receives further evidence. In practice some RFE notices are vague. A foreign national who does not understand what the USCIS wants may send irrelevant evidence or insufficient evidence to prove eligibility.

At other times the USCIS reviewing officer gets it wrong and sends the foreign national an improper written notice of denial. The notice will set out the reasons for the denial and require the foreign national to leave the United States within (30 or 33 days). This notice also informs the foreign nationals of her right to appeal within 30 days of the decision (33 days if the decision was mailed). Continue reading

Posted in Family Immigration, General Immigration, Non-immigrant Visas | Tagged , , , , , , , | 6 Comments

Affidavit of support form I-864

What is an affidavit of support?

If you are a United States citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) seeking to sponsor a family member to immigrate to the United States (an I-130 petitioner) in most cases you must file an I-864 affidavit of support form[1] for the sponsored immigrant. This is to satisfy the immigration authorities that you are willing and able to support the person financially (with income or assets from lawful sources) so that the sponsored immigrant will not become a financial burden to the United States. An affidavit of support is to be completed truthfully and with care. A sponsor (or co-sponsor) signs the I-864, affidavit of support under penalty of perjury.
Continue reading

Posted in Family Immigration, General Immigration | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

The marriage green card interview – what you need to know

After you have filed your adjustment of status package including the marital petition, form I-130, form I-485 application to adjust status and form I-765 application for employment authorization document, USCIS will send you a biometrics notice to take fingerprints followed by a notice in the mail telling you when and where to attend a green card interview. To be sure you get the interview notice you must change your address with USCIS while your applications are pending by mailing a completed and signed form AR-11 Change of Address form or completing a Change of Address online.

Continue reading

Posted in Family Immigration, General Immigration | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment