Tag Archives: AR 11

The marriage green card interview – what you need to know

After you have filed your adjustment of status package including the marital petition, form I-130, form I-485 application to adjust status and form I-765 application for employment authorization document, USCIS will send you a biometrics notice to take fingerprints followed by a notice in the mail telling you when and where to attend a green card interview. To be sure you get the interview notice you must change your address with USCIS while your applications are pending by mailing a completed and signed form AR-11 Change of Address form or completing a Change of Address online.

Continue reading

Posted in Family Immigration, General Immigration | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Adjustment of status based on marriage

Adjustment of status is the process of applying for a green card (become a lawful permanent resident) by non-immigrants who are already in the United States. The applicants are not required to leave the United States and go through the hassle and delay of applying abroad.
An adjustment of status by USCIS is discretionary. Obtaining a green card is a privilege, not a right. USCIS will check the applicant’s immigration and criminal history carefully to decide if there are any obstacles (in-admissibility factors) that could prevent issuance of a green card. However, applicants married to a United States citizen may have some obstacles waved such as overstaying or earlier unauthorized work. Even if the applicant has a criminal history that could be an obstacle, he may be able to able to apply for a waiver. A waiver is a request that the immigration service “forgive” past criminal convictions or other obstacles. Continue reading

Posted in Family Immigration, General Immigration, Waivers | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

How to Register a Change of Address for Foreign Nationals

With limited exception non-US Citizens including lawful permanent residents (green card holders) must notify the Department of Homeland Security of their change of address within 10 days of moving. This requirement has been more enforced since September 11, 2001. The failure to register a change of address is punishable by a fine, imprisonment or removal from the United States.

Continue reading

Posted in Deportation/Removal, Family Immigration, General Immigration, Non-immigrant Visas | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

What if I can’t make it to a scheduled USCIS interview?

With limited exceptions, failure to appear for a scheduled interview can result in the denial of the related application or petition for abandonment. An unintended failure to appear for an interview may result when the notice of scheduled interview is sent to the wrong address because of USCIS processing errors for a timely filed change of address form AR-11. It can also result by an alien’s failure to file a timely change of address while an application or petition is pending.

Continue reading

Posted in General Immigration | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment